Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Propellerhead Software Reason 5
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Propellerhead Software Reason 5
Propellerhead Software Reason 5 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1
Hi, I'm interested in hearing some user feedback on Reason 5 and Record 1.5. I recently read the Reason 5 review and have put duo on my short list. Any feedback would be very appreciated.
jacks
Fresh Breaker
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Propellerhead Software Reason 5 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: -1
I've been enjoying the sounds of Reason since discovering it's wonders in version 2.5. I haven't upgraded my personal version to 5 yet tho, but my friend recently joined the electronic music production scene and owns v5. So I have been using it plenty since it's release last year. I personally find it to be the simplest software to use when talking about an "all-in-one" program. The issue I have with it is the lack of VST/AU support. Thus requiring me to ReWire it to another program to use those expensive softsynths I bought oh-so-long-ago
And because money is so tight currently, anything worth spending money on is just TOOOO expensive for me. So I just use an older version of Sony ACID if I want to use any of those synths.
BUT, because Reason is soooo powerful, one does not "NEED" to use any other software, or hardware for that matter, completely make their own track.

Mind you, I've been an avid reason user for roughly 7 years now, so I know most of the ins and outs of it pretty damn well. And although I've only used Reason on Windows, from what I understand it's identical to the Mac version except for interfacing with your hardware.
So when I say that it is simple to use, I'm only speaking for myself. I guess it really depends on good your understanding of hardware is. And YES I did mean to say hardware. That is because I see Reason as "hardware emulator" when it comes to how each synth/machine/effect works with each other.
Now as far as "telling" each piece of "equipment" what to play, that depends on whether you are using actual hardware or not. At the moment, I'm not using any. I would love to have a small midi controller (such as the M-Audio Oxygen8) because you can not only use the "piano keys" for your notes, but you can assign the knobs/pads to control most any adjustable part of Reason.
BUT, this isn't a necessity, it just makes it MUCH easier. For now I'm using my trusty QWERTY keyboard and mouse.

As far as starting from scrtach and needing to learn Reason from the beginning, their are PLENTY of free online tutorial pages, and videos, that will show everthing you ever wanted to know about it. (and even some stuff you will never need to use

If your serious about your music production, and you're looking for a good place to start that will keep you satisfied even when you've gone platinum, then Reason would be my first recommendation.

If you're just looking to have some fun and don't really plan on taking it too seriously, you should maybe look into something a little more simple and less expensive, such as FL Studio or the 100% free total sound production software called LMMS. Actually, I would say try out LMMS for free and see if you catch on quick enough. Then if you're looking to move on further, go and buy Reason 5. It isn't all that cheap, but it's DEFINITELY worth the investment. Even if you're looking to just have a bit of fun, download the demo from the website and give it a try.

If you need a bit of help here and there, feel free to shoot me a message on here and I'll try to give you a hand.

Have Fun!

Tweedle
DigitalMasterTaco
Junior Breaker
graphgraph

Re:Propellerhead Software Reason 5 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
I've used Reason since version 1 and love it.Its so user friendly.

i made all these tunes in Reason

soundcloud.com/chris_e_lee check em out
chriselee
Fresh Breaker
graphgraph

Re:Propellerhead Software Reason 5 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Hey whats up guys i also use reason version 4.I have been using acid 4.0 and sound forge 6(all outdated but they are still usefull to me_.wish i could afford to try cubase.Any how i learned how to edit and automate allready and dont really get the thor.i place my notes in the sequencer and all is fine,but what are the steps on the instrument for and do i automate it just like effx?well thats my ? for now if you can help thanks.Trying to lace chunky funky bass groves.
iLLaDeLphi
Fresh Breaker
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/08/21 12:44 By iLLaDeLphi.

Re:Propellerhead Software Reason 5 11 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: -1
have any of you tried out Reason 6 ????

From what I understand they have a MASSIVE amount of add-ons for it, but I'm not sure what they are for...

I was hoping that v6 would add VST support but I don't think that's what the add-ons do..

I think they just may be FX banks to add to WAV tracks like vocals and what-not...

If any of you know about V6, I would be grateful if you could post some info before I goout and spend a bunch of cash I can't afford...

Thanks
DigitalMasterTaco
Junior Breaker
graphgraph

Re:Propellerhead Software Reason 5 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
Reason is fantastic, for learning. everything about synthesesis and rack arangment is there. Automation and mastering not a problem. However, no vst support. Use a DAW as a master program (In my case, I love Ableton, but any one you prefer that runs vst's will do) and rewire Reason. Reason works like a vst, and is insane once you have it running side by side a comfortable DAW. Rewire has become a lot easier now the technology is a bit outdated.

Leave you with a few links and a final note. Reason 4 is nearly exactly like Reason 5. Except Reason 5 has a Korg drum pad, which is like a weird drum pad. All Daw's have this and if you like my idea of rewiring, you wont need it. Go for 4 if its cheaper. However, the Korg machine is fun.

Thanks for Listening
Chefcloudy

www.propellerheads.se/substance/rewirehelp/
chefcloudy.blogspot.co.uk/
ChefCloudy
Fresh Breaker
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
Moderators: savagetraxx